I have worked with a number of educators, businesses and NGOs across the UK and Europe on a range of topics. Due to existing commitments, I am unavailable for any new speaking/workshop engagements in 2017.
Europeana Conference, Rome October 2014
Many thanks for your inspirational talk and work… we had many comments on its pertinence and the way it got the delegates to think. Your contribution to the event was invaluable leading to the draft recommendations to be further developed under the Latvian presidency in Riga.
Dr Jill Cousins, Executive Director, Europeana Foundation
Public Policy Exchange, London November 2012
Nick’s presentation at the recent Public Policy Exchange event ‘Revolutionising Public Sector Communications: Accelerating the Digitalisation of Public Services through Social Media’, was greatly received. Despite none of the delegates attending being of a teaching profession, and Nick coming from a very different perspective when it comes to using social media, a lot of delegates were able to take anecdotes and safety precautions away to use in their own businesses/councils/organisations.
People particularly liked the ‘WHY’ focus of Nick’s presentation…it occurred to delegates that although they all came from very different backgrounds and were using social media in different ways for different reasons, the fundamental problems were the same, and Nick had some very logical and sensible solutions.
Alex Battinson, Head of PE, Hurstpierpoint College
Nick’s knowledge and experience was inspiring and thought provoking. A real innovator, his personality and presentational style made his time with us hugely enjoyable, productive and stimulating. I recommend him to anyone who is excited at the prospect of greatly enhancing the learning of both student and teacher.
David Williams, Senior Deputy Head, Wellingborough School (HMC)
Nick delivered a Whole School training session which included a “State of the Nation” address on ICT use in the classroom and a practical introduction to Google Apps. He approached the day with professionalism and, crucially in ICT matters, was sensitive to the prevailing mood in our 3 to 18 School. All staff responded to his warm, engaging approach and the central objective of enthusing teachers was well and truly met. From his realistic perspective as a classroom practitioner he has definitely allowed us to move us forward with our vision of using current technology to complement teaching and learning at Wellingborough School.
Richard Harrold, Assistant Principal, ACS Cobham
Nick addressed issues of pedagogy and the practicalities of time, role reversals and the role of content knowledge, all of which are central to planning meaningful learning in IT and beyond. One of our teachers called Nick’s presentation “inspiring”.
Steve Gilden, Head of Juniors, Lockers Park
Every now and then you get a visitor who surpasses your expectations. Nick was one such visitor. I wasn’t sure what to expect from his visit, but he certainly gave me, as a teacher, some new ideas. He also inspired the Year 8 boys…our Year 8 boys did a project around the school – they were still talking about it, animatedly several hours after Nick left. He inspired me and I know he inspired the boys.
Kristian Taylor, Toucan Computer, Apple Education Solution Experts
Nick’s passion for technology and education has ensured many successful events which have proved extremely popular. I never ceased to be amazed at the distances schools travel to attend. He is is true professional with bags of integrity.
Selected past workshops/conference keynotes
- Workshop on recruiting, retaining and developing staff from a minority background, HMC Annual Conference 4th October 2016
- Workshop session at the Stowe Ed conference on January 4th 2016 on ‘Nudges’ in education and how behavioural insights/cognitive psychology can help support pupil learning.
- ‘Innovation & standards: thinking about ICT to enhance meaningful learning’. Keynote at the the HMC Librarians’ conference 12th November 2015
- Panel member at Policy UK conference ‘21st Century Assessment – A way ahead for high stakes testing, eMarking and eAssessment‘ November 3rd
- Panel member at the University of Brighton’s event on BME leadership/progression in Higher Education : The Next Chapter: Our Future in Black and White Friday 9th October 2015
- ‘The Role of the HoD in Whole-School Planning‘ Independent Schools Qualification in Academic Management (ISQAM) Level 2 module with Mark Steed.
- Keynote, Europeana Expert Meeting, 30th September, Rome ‘Curating, Connecting & Cultivating Humanity‘
- Workshop on ‘Leading like a Multiplier‘ at Pedagoo South West, Saturday 14th June 2014
- Opening keynote ‘Enquiring Minds – The Road to Learning‘ at the School Libraries’ Group of Certified Library & Information Professionals Conference 4th-6th April, 2014
- Founder and lead organiser of the TLAB Conferences at Berkhamsted School (2013, 2014, 2015).
- CPD module ‘Using iPads in the classroom’ for Rising Stars/Guardian Essential CPD online training site.
- Presenting at the Public Policy Exchange event ‘Revolutionising Public Sector Communications: Accelerating the Digitalisation of Public Services through Social Media‘ London, November 29th 2012
- ‘The End of Education?’, Wellington College ‘Elearning; Elibraries‘ conference, December 7th 2012
- Speaker at the Apple Leadership Event for Independent Schools, Berkhamsted School, March 2012
- Presenting at Learning Without Frontiers conference with the GSMA and a session on technology in schools today (25/26th January 2012)
- ‘Thinking Mobile’ presentation at the Apple/Toucan ‘Teach Mobile, Manage Mobile’ event at ACS Cobham International, 17th May 2011
- Developing a pedagogy of ICT in RE – from substitution to transformation’ Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge, January 11th 2011
- ‘Developing approaches to teaching change and continuity‘, Faculty of Education, University of Cambridge, 22nd June 2009.
- ‘The diversity problem in school leadership – and how we can fix it’ TES Magazine 17th June 2016
- Chapter in ‘Using New Technologies to enhance teaching and learning in History‘ edited by Professor Terry Haydn, Routledge, Dec 2012
- Soundbite Learning – GCSEpod.co.uk Audiobook on Germany 1919-1990 with Doug Belshaw